St Catherine’s School Rooms housed the very first school to be opened in Chippenham in 1790. It was the first primary school in Chippenham using the monitorial system, one teacher to sometimes hundreds of children. From 1875 a private venture grammar school was run from the premises, conducted by a Mr. Wilson and from 1883 by Mr. Cruikshank. The curriculum included Latin, French, Science, History, Geography, Grammar, Book-keeping, Shorthand, Arithmetic, Writing, Geometry and Freehand Drawing. As the tenancy of the private venture school was to end on 25 March 1896, the Town Council paid Cruikshank £10 for the desks, books and goodwill of his school. On 24 September 1900, the Chippenham District County School opened in Cocklebury Lane, now part of Wiltshire College, (built on an acre of land purchased in 1896 by the County, Urban and Rural District Councils). The ceremony was attended by the Mayor and Aldermen of Chippenham. Mr. Edward Newall Tuck the headmaster of St Catherine’s moved on to take the headship of this new school. St Catherine’s Rooms reverted to being part of the Church Hall and has been used for a variety of purposes since that time

Snowdrop Cottage Day Nursery is proud to be returning the building to its original purpose, as a place of education for young children.